Hand2Hand of Cornerstone
1 in 5 children in West Michigan doesn’t have enough food, especially over the weekends. That’s why there’s Hand2Hand of Cornerstone — a ministry that gets food to kids during the school year who need it for each weekend!
Bowen Elementary School
Bowen Elementary is part of Kentwood Public Schools. It’s located on Kalamazoo Avenue, just south of 44th Street. It’s an excellent school with an ethnically and socio-economically diverse student body of about 350 kids. A majority of the children qualify for free/reduced lunch.
Campus Elementary School
Campus Elementary is part of Grand Rapids Public Schools. It’s located on Benjamin Avenue in South East Grand Rapids. We’ve had a relationship with this school since 2013, but 2017-18 was the first year at Campus for Hand2Hand. There are approximately 450 students, with a large portion receiving free and reduced breakfast/lunch.
Vanguard Charter Academy
Vanguard Charter is a free charter school located on 52nd Street SW in Wyoming, for kids in grades Kindergarten – 8th Grade. Vanguard is a suburban school with just less than half of the students qualifying for free and reduced breakfast/lunch.
How Can I Help?
- Donate food (just look for the Grocery Lists at each Cornerstone campus)
- Donate clean, dry, and smoke-free plastic grocery bags (used for packing the food)
- Help on Packing Nights (Packing for Bowen and Vanguard happens Wednesday Nights at South Wyoming's campus. Packing for Campus Elementary happens at the school nearly every other Thursday night)
- Deliver Totes of packed food from South Wyoming's campus to Vanguard and Bowen Elementary
- Deliver bags of food to student’s lockers
We’ll have more specifics and sign up opportunities as Fall gets closer!
Other Ways to Lend a Hand During the School Year
- Organize a Hand2Hand H.O.P.E. on the Move Food Drive! Coordinate a collection drive in your neighborhood, school or business and have the HOPE on the Move Trailer where you're collecting!
- H.O.P.E. Gatherings (Hands of People Everywhere). H.O.P.E. Gatherings are focused on putting together snack packs that are added to weekly Hand2Hand backpacks. West Michigan H2H partners, including Cornerstone, take turns hosting H.O.P.E. Gatherings through the year, and the public is invited to help!
We're here to help! Contact the Hand2Hand coordinator at your Cornerstone Campus:
84th St.: Contact Laurie Tindle at firstname.lastname@example.org
Heritage Hill: Contact Orea Molina at email@example.com
South Wyoming: Contact Sheryl Korn at firstname.lastname@example.org
More About Hand2Hand
For more information about how Hand2Hand got started, go here.